6.2.07

BARRY KAMEN....sock it to me

"Respect, just a little bit"
I'm running out to Waitrose to buy my groceries and I know the only people that are gonna see me are the girls at the till, that doesn't mean I'll chuck on any old crap. I don't possess any old crap anymore, I'll still have on a sharp pair of socks and shoes. If you get the socks and shoes right the rest of the outfit falls into place. if you don't, it falls apart.
Who cares? The girls at the till don't give a toss. I care. I know.
My default setting is basically a pair of jeans and a cashmere sweater. But the shoes and the socks are key. Black Loafers, orange sock. Brown brogues, pale blue sock. Black Patents and an off white silk sock and so on. It's quiet and its thorough.
Wearing a dirty or shitty pair of socks is like having a grimey little secret. Like hidden MSG in an expensive meal. "It doesn't matter cos' nobody's gonna see em" is not the fucking point. You know the only person you're kidding is yourself.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Nice post, Barry-- I just found this! Do you have an official website of your own? I want to see more of your artwork, too! Mark

Anonymous said...

Hello, Beautiful photo !
Barry you look similar with your brother Nicholas. You have the same face.

Rachid

Mark said...

Hello Barry, hope remember us, Mark and Noy and of course Lynn Griese. We still have your wonderful art on our walls in our living room, we see them everyday. If you could please send me an email sometime at: mmaysey@charter.net, we'd both love to hear from you. Love, Mark and Noy. And check out some of my music on You Tube, my channel name is "Maysey1".